Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Ginger & White, London


Coffee – 9/10
Atmosphere – 9/10


I had a feeling I would love Ginger & White. Maybe it was their motto, ‘We don’t do Grande’. Maybe it was the vintage comfort vibe I got from their website. Maybe it was the fact that they had a picture of a couch on that website. Whatever it was…I was right.

The couch.
Their shop is open and filled with light; the décor reminded me something of Pottery Barn with the rustic wood tables and counters, and eclectic collection of mugs hanging on the wall. I found it all a refreshing break from the typical industrial decoration of most London coffee shops. Brittany and I plopped ourselves down at a large community-style table (the couch was, unfortunately, already taken). A barista brought us clip-boards with menus attached.


The espresso was rich and delicious, the cappuccino was creamy and well balanced and the sourdough toast was savory with either butter or jam, taken from the Lazy Susan in the middle of our table. Brittany said her latte was smooth and the best she’s had in London. Children rushed in and out on their scooters while mothers ordered coffee and, after a little cajoling, a piece of one of the delicious cakes on display. It was obvious this was a place beloved and frequented by the locals, and I could see why.


So here’s my verdict: if you’re in London, make the journey up to Hampstead Heath. The Heath is beautiful, Hampstead is lovely, but be sure to stop by Ginger & White. It’s worth you’re time, and I’ll wager will start your day off with a smile.


Square Mile Coffee
Machine: La Marzocco
Grinder: Anfim, Mazzer

No comments:

Post a Comment