Thursday, December 1, 2011

St Ali's, London


Coffee – 8.5/10
Atmosphere – 8.5/10

I found St Ali’s while searching for somewhere to grab coffee on my way to work (London Coffee Guide pulled through again). I consider myself lucky that I get to stop in every morning for a cup before heading for the Museum of the Order of St John (another place you should visit).

I always think 'organic' when I walk in. The abundance of wood and light coupled with a surprisingly open floor plan make it seem as if the shop has always been there. You can watch them roast their own coffee in the back of the shop at the same time you’re watching them make your latte or cappuccino at the coffee bar. Chalkboards tell you where their filter coffees originate. The staff is friendly and full of personality. As you sit you get the feeling that this is a shop unto itself; they may be aware of what’s going on outside, but its irrelevant for what they’re trying to accomplish inside their walls.

While the coffee is a bit acidic for my taste, that hasn’t stopped me from dropping by almost every morning. Whether its filter coffee or an espresso drink, you can have confidence in the fact that these guys know what they’re doing. The atmosphere is great for talking or reading the paper; the openness and light of the space will allow you a few minutes to really breathe. As if that weren’t enough, they serve food in both the café and a restaurant upstairs.

Here’s the verdict: St Ali’s is worth a visit, both for the coffee and the atmosphere. If you’re looking for a place to become a regular, definitely give it a try or eight. It’s the kind of place that grows on you a little more each time you walk in.

ST. ALi coffee
Machine: Slayer, 3 groups
Grinder: Mazzer Robur E x 2

No comments:

Post a Comment